Due to COVID-19 procedures, an email address and phone number must be included with any permit application made to the city. The city will be relying on email as the primary means of contact throughout this health emergency. If you do not have an email address, please call city hall at 952.960.7900 before sending an application.
Planning and building permit procedures
- Permits are required for most building, plumbing and mechanical projects in homes and businesses. Permit applications are accepted by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Payment should be made online prior to email submission for permits valued at $400 or less; there is not an additional fee for credit card payments. Discover, MasterCard and Visa are accepted; debit cards may also be used.
- Payment for permits over $400 can be made online using a checking/savings account routing number and account number. Permits over $400 that use a credit card will be canceled and the permit will not be processed.
- Inspections continue to be required.
- Call city hall at 952.960.7900 to schedule an inspection. Inspections take place Monday through Thursday.
- Photo inspections take place inside occupied homes. Once the inspection is scheduled, photos can be emailed to email@example.com. Include the property address in the subject line of the email.
Contact the city by email or phone, 952.960.7900 if you have questions or issues.
The Planning Department reviews land use plans for consistency with city plans, land use regulations and state regulations that apply to development. They conduct long-range planning for the future growth of the city and administer land use control ordinances and zoning enforcement.
Marie Darling, Planning Director
Wade Woodward, Building Official
Emma Notermann, Planning Technician
The department may be reached through city hall, 952.960.7900.
Contact city hall to make all inspection appointments. Inspection appointments are 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday through Thursday.
The Inspection Services Division is responsible for the application and enforcement of the building code and related ordinances regulating construction, alterations, and the use of buildings within the city. Read more
The purpose of the Zoning Ordinance is to ensure good land management and orderly development of the city. It regulates the types of uses which can occur in each zoning district as well as the specific development standards for each zoning district, which control such details as height, size and use of buildings and lot sizes. The district boundaries are depicted on a zoning map. The City's Zoning and Subdivision Ordinances are periodically reviewed and revised, in order to implement the City's Comprehensive Plan or in response to requests for changes in zoning. Such revisions and requests are reviewed by the Planning Commission and acted on by the City Council after a public hearing.