Public Works

Water, Sewer and Street Lights
The Shorewood Public Works Department manages the planning, design, construction, operation and maintenance of all city streets, the water and sewer systems, storm sewers as well as the maintenance of all city parks and city-owned equipment. The various responsibilities are divided among four areas.

Water Report Available
The annual water report is now available. This report is for testing that was conducted during the year 2016. If you have any questions, please contact Public Works Director Larry Brown, 952.960.7913.

Sewer Maintenance
The Public Works Department manages the operation and maintenance of the city’s approximately sixty miles of sanitary sewer collection system. Each year 1/5th of the sewer system is cleaned and suspected problem areas of pipe are televised for inspection and repair purposes. The system contains thirteen sanitary sewer lift stations.

Utility Service Providers
Electricity: Xcel Energy; Electric emergency/power outage: 1.800.895.1999
Gas: CenterPoint Energy; Gas leak: 1.800.296.9815
Cable: Mediacom
Telephone: CenturyLink, Mediacom, other internet providers
Internet: CenturyLink, Mediacom
Municipal Water, Recycling, Sanitary Sewage, and Stormwater Management: City 
Know what to do in case of a power outage.

Water and Sanitary Sewer:
Public Works manages all water and sanitary sewer operations. Operations include maintaining City wells, water storage facilities, water mains, sanitary sewer lines and lift stations, and fire hydrants. Responsibilities also include quarterly water meter reading.

Public Works may be reached at 952.960.7913. After hours sewer and water emergencies should call 952.960.7914. A staff member will return your call as soon as possible.

Billing questions should be referred to Finance, 952.960.7904.

Street Lights
Street lights are maintained in Shorewood by Xcel Energy. Report street light outages to Xcel. If the light is in one of the Shorewood parks, please report to the city with your name, phone number and exact location of the light.

Traffic Signal Lights
If you notice a traffic signal light out or malfunctioning within the City of Shorewood city limits, please contact public works. 

Report a Road
City streets are inspected and assessed annually for any needed maintenance and hazards (resurfacing and drainage). Public Works staff also inspects any received notification of hazards in streets. Call 952.960.7900 for more information or to report a street needing repair or report with SeeClickFix. Please be specific in describing the location and problem.

Issues with county roads should be reported to Hennepin County. Problems on state roads may be directed to the Minnesota Department of Transportation.

Speed Limits
The city maintains speed limits according to guidelines from the Minnesota Department of Transportation. Shorewood city council adopted a speed policy to respond to requests for speed limit changes and enforcement. If you notice a speed problem, you may request the Speed Awareness Display (SAD) be placed on the roadway to monitor speeds. Requests should be directed to South Lake Minnetonka Police Department. The SAD is in high demand, so your request will be put on a list and your street will be monitored when possible.