Household Goods/Clothing


If your appliance is in working condition, give it away, sell it, or donate it to the Habitat for Humanity ReStoreBetter Futures Minnesota, or Salvation Army. Broken appliances that are too large to be placed in curbside trash carts can be brought to Carver or Hennepin County waste drop off centers for a small fee. Appliances can also be brought to recycling businesses such as J.R.’s Advanced Recyclers, A+ Plus Appliance, Certified Appliance Recycling. If you are unable to transport your appliance to a drop-off facility, contact your waste hauler to see if they offer special pick-up service for appliances.

Due to reduced hours during covid-19, Hennepin County facilities are currently not accepting large appliances.

Clothing & Textiles 
If unwanted clothing is in good condition, give it away, sell or donate. Gently-used clothing can be donated to nonprofit organizations such as Bethedsa Thrift Shop, St. Vincent DePaul Thrift Stores, Resale Select, Hope Chest for Breast Cancer, or Goodwill locations around the Twin Cities. See Hennepin County’s Choose to Reuse website for more locations to donate used clothing.
Carver County Environmental Center and Hennepin County drop-off facilities do not accept textiles for recycling. Clothing and textiles cannot be placed in curbside recycling bins.

Cooking Oil
Carver County Environmental Services will collect used cooking oil for no charge. Please do not dispose of cooking oil in home drains or in storm sewers.


If furniture is in good condition, consider selling or donating it. Furniture and home decor can be sold to stores such as Turn Style Consignment or on online marketplaces such as Craigslist, E-Bay, and Facebook Marketplace. Furniture can also be donated to nonprofit organizations such as Bridging Inc., the Salvation Army, or Goodwill. 
Repair broken furniture by attending a fix-it clinic or searching how-to videos on the internet. Contact manufacturers to see if replacement parts can be ordered. Furniture that is broken beyond repair can be disposed of at landfills such as Dem-Con Landfill or Freeway Transfer Station for a fee. Or, check with your waste hauler regarding pickup options.