Adult Use Cannabis, THC Sales & Related Activity in Shorewood
[August 29, 2023] The Shorewood City Council discussed the public use of cannabis in Shorewood at the August 28 City Council Work Session. Council members determined Shorewood will not implement a public use prohibition for the time being. This matter will be monitored and revisited in roughly one year.
[July 31, 2023] The Legislature approved adult use cannabis products in the 2023 legislative session. Shorewood City Council reviewed and discussed the adult use cannabis law at its meeting on June 26, 2023. The following is a summary of the implications of the new law for Shorewood. The information contained in this article is subject to revision.
Hemp Derived THC
- The City’s 2022 moratorium prohibiting the sale of THC products has now expired.
- The MN Department of Health has prepared a Fact Sheet regarding THC product sales.
- Low dose (<0.3%) hemp derived THC sales are now allowed in Shorewood. At this time, the City is not regulating sales.
- THC products are available to those 21 years of age and older. Sales are limited to 5mg/serving and 50mg/package. Products are required to be located behind the counter and locked. No artificially derived ingredients are currently allowed except Delta 8 and 9.
- If violations are observed, there is a complaint form on the Minnesota Department of Health’s webpage that may be submitted.
- By Oct 1, retailers of hemp derived THC must register with the Minnesota Department of Health. Registration opens Aug 1.
- In 2025, hemp derived THC retailers will also need to obtain a license from the State Office of Cannabis Management and register with the City.
Adult Use Cannabis
- Use of cannabis by adults 21 and older is legal in Minnesota as of Aug 1. The sale of cannabis products is not currently legal in Minnesota but is expected to become legal in 2025.
- In 2025, the State Office of Cannabis Management will issue licenses for retail sales of cannabis products through the State Office of Cannabis Management. Registration with the City of Shorewood will be required. Zoning regulations will apply to sales.
- The City is currently studying zoning regulations regarding where and when cannabis sales may occur in Shorewood. It is also considering prohibitions regarding smoking in public places, such as parks.