Online Forms & Permits

Apply for a building, plumbing or mechanical permit online

Getting Started

The application forms and ordinance sections are available in PDF format. Adobe Acrobat Reader is required to view and print PDF files.

Submit non-building/plumbing/mechanical forms to:
All building permits are completed using our online system.
Completed application forms must be dropped off, mailed or scanned and emailed to:

Shorewood City Hall
5755 Country Club Road
Shorewood MN. 55331


The city will notify you if an emailed form must be sent in original form or if more information is needed. 


If you have problems with accessing this information, please send us an e-mail or contact city hall at 952.960.7900 during regular business hours (M-F, 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.).

Other Agencies

Your project may also require a permit from the Minnehaha Creek Watershed District. Check out the MCWD permitting page for more information.

Online Forms

Forms are listed alphabetically.

Administrative Enforcement Appeal

This service offers residents the convenience of automatic payment of your utility bill, paid on the due date with no additional charge to you. Sign up for autoPAY and never again have a late fee because the bank or third-party check was not received by the due date.  Alternatively, you can pay by credit card online or as a reoccurring payment for no additional fee. 

Animal Licenses and Codes
Online payments
(select QUICK PAY and email the receipt to

Dog Ordinance
Dog License
All dogs at least six months of age or within 30 days of moving into the City are required to be licensed for each calendar year. A current rabies certificate and a fee of $10.00 per dog are also required. Permits expire on December 31 of the year in which it was issued. Apply Online

Multi-Dog License
A Multiple Dog License is required for owners of three or four dogs. The fee is $25 for a new license/$10 for renewal. Individual dog licenses, rabies certification, and a site inspection are also required. Permits expire on December 31 of the year in which it was issued.

Horse/Stable Permit Application
A Stable permit is required for residents who own or board horses within the City. Permits are issued for one year (May to May).

Urban Farm Animals
In 2012, the city council passed an ordinance requiring a permit for specific farm animals allowed to be kept on private properties in Shorewood. Please review the ordinance prior to submitting your permit application. The permit fee covers the entire length of time that you house the animals on your property.

Other permits and forms:

Building permit applications
Building Permits are required for many projects, including but not limited to, new construction, additions, finished basements, pools, decks, and demolitions. A Building Permit is also required for the replacement of windows, doors, roofing, and siding. Additional documents including a Tree Preservation Plan may also be required. Permit fees vary according to the project. Building Permit Applications usually require a  plan review process.  Refund Policy

Buckthorn Wrench 
The city has purchased a tool designed to help remove buckthorn. The tool is available to residents for use on their private property for a two-day rental period. A replacement/damage deposit fee of $20.00 is required.

Commercial Lawn Fertilizer
Online payments (select QUICK PAY and email the receipt to
This application is required for all commercial lawn fertilizer businesses to operate within the City of Shorewood.

Comprehensive Plan Amendment
This permit application is required when requesting the city to change land use from what is defined in the City's Comprehensive Plan Guide. This process requires a public hearing.

Conditional Use Permit
This permit is required when a use (or occupation) is not allowed as a permitted use within a zoning district but may be allowed with certain conditions. This process requires a public hearing.

Data Request Public Form    Data Request Public Policy

Data Request for Subjects/Personnel Form  Data Request for Subjects Policy

Dog and Multiple Dog License/Permit (See Animal licenses)

Electrical Permits
Electrical permits are required for all electrical wiring. Permits are not issued by the City, but by the State Board of Electricity. 

Employment Application

Fire Permit for Recreational Fire
Restricted recreational fires with a total diameter of 3 feet or less are allowed in the City by permit. Permits are free and expire on December 31 of the year in which it was issued.

Fireworks Permit
A fireworks permit is required for all businesses wanting to sell legal fireworks. This is an annual permit.

Homestead is a classification of property that is occupied by an owner or relative of the owner and is used as a primary place of residence. For properties valued at less than $413,800, a portion of the property’s value is excluded from tax. Owners must apply for homestead. Homestead classification remains until the property is sold or the owner or relative no longer uses it as a primary place of residence.

Horse/Stable Permit Application (See Animal licenses)

Massage Therapist License
Online payments (select QUICK PAY and email the receipt to

Mechanical Permit (this is an online application and payment process)

Parking Permit Application
This permit (for residents of Christmas Lake Rd, Christmas Lane or Merry Lane only) allows on-street parking in a no-parking zone on a temporary basis. The permit is free, however, a deposit is required

Picnic Shelter Permit Application
Online payments (select QUICK PAY and email the receipt to
Picnic Shelters within Shorewood's Parks may be reserved for private parties from Memorial Day through Labor Day. Fees vary according to shelter and resident vs. non-resident. A damage deposit is also required.

Planned Unit Development Application
A Planned Unit Development (PUD) is a specialized zoning tool intended to provide the property owner with flexibility from normal development standards, while providing the City with greater control over the development, resulting in a higher quality project and protection of sensitive environmental areas. This process requires a public hearing. See permit fees.

Plumbing Permit
Plumbing permits are required when installing a new plumbing fixture or altering an existing system. Permit applications may be filled out online, then printed, and returned with the appropriate fee. A Permit Card must be posted on the job site. Apply and pay for this permit online through the iWorq portal.

Recreational Fire Permit

Refuse Collection license
Online payments (select QUICK PAY and email the receipt to
This application is required to operate a refuse collection business within the City of Shorewood.

Rental Housing Ordinance
Rental Housing License Application
Online payments (select QUICK PAY and email the receipt to
A Rental Housing License is required to operate a rental dwelling. The licensing process also requires an inspection of the rental dwelling. Licenses are approved on a three-year basis and expire on December 31 following the issuance thereof. Licenses are not transferable.

Rezoning Application
A rezoning request is required to change the zoning and use (or occupation) of a parcel of land. This process requires a public hearing.

Right of Way User Registration
Prior to using, occupying or placing equipment and/or facilities within the right of way you must register with the city and submit the necessary information and fee.  Registered right of way users can request permits through the Right of Way Online Permit Application (ROWay).  
Online payments (select QUICK PAY and email the receipt to
Request the delivery and/or refill of a sand/salt barrel. Available to all residents. $40 initial delivery/ $30 refill. 

Sign Ordinance
Sign Permit
A sign permit is required for the installation of signage. Sign permits require City Council approval. Because council meetings are twice per month, give plenty of time for approval.

Solicitors Ordinance
Solicitors LicenseSupplement
All individuals engaged in soliciting, canvassing, peddling or transient selling within the City of Shorewood must obtain a license.

Special Event Permit Application
Parties with guests of 75 people or more are required to be registered with the city. Neighborhoods may request street closures for low-volume residential streets or cul-de-sacs. This permit also includes notification of the police and fire departments.

Special Event Sponsorship/Donor Form
Thank you for your consideration of helping to keep our community active! After submission of this form, you will be contacted about ways we can promote your sponsorship via our newsletter, social media, brochures, and website.

Subdivision Ordinance
Subdivision Application
An application for minor subdivision must be submitted when requesting a lot line rearrangement or in most instances to divide a parcel into three or fewer lots. See permit fees.

Tree Trimmers
Online payments (select QUICK PAY and email the receipt to
This application is required to operate the tree trimmers business within the City of Shorewood.

Urban farm animals (see Animal licenses)

Vacation of Right-of-Way/Easements
A vacation request is usually required when replatting parcels or when an owner has abandoned their interest in the easement or right-of-way. See permit fees.

Water Meter/Sanitary Outside connect and Repair Permit Application

Zoning Permit
Required for Accessory Buildings, Portable Storage Units, Driveways, Sport / Tennis Courts, Fences, Retaining Walls, Temporary Signs, and a Tent or Canopy.  Apply and pay online through the iWorq portal.

Zoning Subdivision Application/Fee ScheduleApplication Checklist
A Zoning Ordinance amendment is required for any modification to the subdivision and zoning chapters of the City Code.